AAA makes available recognition certificates and pins that can be presented at school assemblies or celebrations. Contact your local AAA club for details.
Certificates of Merit are available for students who satisfactorily complete service as a patrol member.
A silver Service Pin is available for outstanding patrol member service.
There are two national awards programs to recognize the efforts of AAA School Safety Patrol members: The Lifesaving Award Medal and the National Patroller of the Year.
Lifesaving Award Medal
In 1949, AAA held the first Lifesaving Medal Awards to recognize safety patrollers who saved a life or prevented injury to a fellow student while on duty. To date, more than 382 students have been presented this prestigious honor.
The Lifesaving Medal is awarded by an independent review board to a member of any authorized AAA School Safety Patrol when there is conclusive proof that:
- The life of the person saved was in imminent danger.
- The act was performed while the patrol member was on duty, going to or from a duty post or while on duty as a bus patrol member.
- No negligence on the part of the patrol member caused or contributed to the person rescued being in danger.
The AAA Lifesaving Medal has been presented by U.S. presidents, vice presidents, first ladies, Supreme Court justices and other dignitaries.
National Patroller Of the Year
School safety patrol advisors may nominate one current-year patrol member with certain qualifications. The candidate must:
- Be enrolled in the highest participating grade level of the AAA School Safety Patrol.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities, safety skills, school involvement and citizenship/volunteerism.
- Value the patrol experience.
Contact your local AAA club for details.