Patrol members must understand there are serious consequences for breaking rules. Most patrols maintain discipline with a merit/demerit system. Parents should be advised prior to any disciplinary action.
Merit points are awarded for:
- Work in addition to regular duty.
- Conducting safety talks to classes.
- Making constructive suggestions.
- Additional contributions to teamwork.
Demerits are given for:
- Attempting to direct traffic.
- Leaving the sidewalk.
- Allowing children to cross without checking for a safe gap.
- Leaving a post without permission.
- Being tardy or absent without an acceptable reason.
- Arriving for duty without a belt or badge.
- Breaking safety rules.
By accumulating merit points, a patrol member may earn more important assignments. Accumulating demerits may result in suspension or dismissal from the patrol.