The more importance and visibility the school gives to the AAA School Safety Patrol, the more the potential benefit. The program deserves recognition as:
- A safety measure.
- A character-building program.
- As a leadership development program.
- Citizenship and volunteerism in action.
- A real-world “lab” that teaches life skills such as teamwork, responsibility, problem-solving and effective communication.
- Means to enhance rapport between students and authority figures – school officers, law enforcement.
- A program that creates positive role models for younger students.
- An opportunity for students to learn about traffic safety and the rules of interfacing with traffic.
Schools should encourage teachers to participate, involve the PTA and community groups and make the recognition of the contribution made by the AAA School Safety Patrol a priority.