Patrollers often work with adult crossing guards. Here are a few tips for working with a crossing guard:
- The crossing guard looks for oncoming traffic and helps find a safe time to cross.
- The patroller holds kids at the curb in the holding position until they receive the signal that it is safe to cross from the crossing guard.
- Patrollers should never attempt to stop or direct traffic and should always follow the directions from the crossing guard.
- Patrollers should hold students in the holding position until the crossing guard signals, then it is safe to step aside and motion for students to cross.
- Return to the holding position after students cross or the guard signals that it is no longer safe to cross.