Congratulations! Your child has expressed a desire, or has been selected, to serve in the AAA School Safety Patrol. Service in the patrol is voluntary and open to all interested students that meet criteria set by each school. Duties will require a short amount of time each day. Members are selected for their leadership, courtesy, dependability, interest in their job, physical fitness, attitude toward others and scholastic standing.
The primary aims of the patrol are to:
- Help children cross streets safely on their way to and from school.
- Help children become safe pedestrians.
- Assist with safe bus loading and unloading.
- Foster qualities of leadership and good citizenship in patrol members.
School Safety Patrol membership is an honored position. Millions of boys and girls have served since the program started in 1920. In that time, the casualty record among children ages 5 to 14 has improved significantly. Patrollers have played an important role in this achievement.
With your endorsement, your child will shoulder responsibilities that will strengthen character and provide an opportunity to help fellow students develop a better understanding of pedestrian and vehicular traffic hazards.
AAA applauds your child for his or her interest, dedication and volunteerism. Please, click through the links to learn more about how you can support your child patroller.
- Support the ongoing activity of your child’s patrol through membership in your school’s PTA organization.
- Meet your child’s patrol advisor and ask questions.
- Talk to your child about their patrol responsibilities. Ask them to demonstrate what they have learned.
- Discuss stranger danger with your child.
- Inquire about patrol funding and assist in these activities.
Attend recognition ceremonies or special events where patrols are invited.